Thursday, April 14, 2011

High Waters Be Gone!

Check out this picture:


Please note the 'too short' pants my daughter is wearing.  I think she grows overnight sometimes.  Clothes fit her one day and then the next day: high waters.  It's hard to keep her in appropriately sized clothing, at times.  I give myself a pass on this because you never know when a growth spurt is going to strike.

Now, take another look at the picture and notice the 'too short' curtains behind her.  They're not floor length, but they don't end at the window either: high water curtains.  I don't get a pass on this.  They need to be fixed. 

For background, about six months ago we threw these curtains up in a futile attempt to keep our three year old napping just a little longer.  We figured she must have stopped napping because her room was too bright during the day.  We ran to Target and paid full price (gasp!) for a pair of room darkening kiddo curtains and put them up ASAP.  The bad news was that they didn't work.  Lucky was done napping with or without room darkening curtains.  The super bad news was that the full price curtains didn't even look good.

Enter these:

Walmart curtain hooks $4.96/pack

And now look: 


They aren't the floor to ceiling curtains that I'd love to have, but they look much, much better.  And they actually open and close with ease because the hooks slide much easier on the curtain rod than the fabric did alone.  I'm not sure what took me so long to make this upgrade, but I'm so glad I did!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your solution worked, you also could have cut them somewhere and added (sewn) a small piece of orange (or whatever color you wanted) fabric to give them the added length you needed. Then it would have had a secondary color burst. A lot of work maybe but not if you delegate it out to my mother in law. She added black out panels to my cheap curtains I found. She is really good at sewing. I dabble in it but wouldn't trust myself to do that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's my plan for lengthening them if I can convince Bill to rehang the curtain rod at the ceiling level (I should have done that initially). I need to do a little sewing practice first though!

    ReplyDelete