Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Unoriginal Wall Art for Lucky Girl

I thought I was being so original when I saw this in a thrift store for $1.50 and dreamed up using it as wall art with fun fabric in it.

It's a big one!

My idea morphed into using all round embroidery hoops when I found it easier to track down round hoops at thrift stores.  Here was my stash that I was collecting over the last few weeks. (I paid $7 for 8 hoops.  I never priced these at craft stores, so hopefully that was a good deal:)):


I ironed out the extra fabric I had from Lucky's room (chair, window seat cover, headboard) along with a few pieces I had picked up for other projects.  That's where this picture came in from my weekend recap post:


I  placed the fabric in the embroidery hoops, and then I trimmed up the fabric and hot glued each piece within a hoop. 


Here are all my hoops together:



Next, I laid out the hoops in a pattern I liked and included a few other round items and traced their outlines on a big piece of paper. 

The brass mirror was my Grandma's.  The woven charger was a $2.48 Target clearance find from awhile back, the round chalkboard was picked up at the same time that I wrote this post for $1.50, and 2 wooden plaques were $0.80 each at Michael's with a coupon.  I plan to personalize the wood plaques and chalkboard eventually, and I may even try my hand at embroidering one of the fabric pieces. 

The paper was taped to the wall and all I had to do was put about 9 holes in the wall and attached some 3M Picture Hanging Velcro to some of the pieces. 




Here is the end result:




I just love it.  I think it's my favorite part of her whole room.  Total cost was $7 for the 8 embroidery hoops (all on sale at thrift stores), $2.48 for the charger, $1.50 for the chalkboard, and $1.60 for the wood plaques = $12.58 for some impactful, pretty wall art.

In the meantime, between dreaming up this project and completing it, I discovered that this isn't original at all.  When I was writing my window seat post, I found this image:

I then discovered the blog called Domestic Adventure and found this image:

And then, to top it off, one of my favorite bloggers, Jen, from IHeart Organizing wrote this post.  She made this wall for her mother-in-law's sewing quilting room.


Ah well, it's not original...I guess it just means that great minds think alike, right?  And more importantly, I love it.  And even more importantly, Lucky loves it!

1 comment:

  1. Your hoop art is really cute. I love the way the colors coordinate. It reminds me of a similar project that I'd enjoyed: I used color-coordinated ribbons to make the hoops look like mini-quilts. That was "back in the day" when everything was "country." :)

    ReplyDelete