Friday, October 12, 2012

Anchor Applique Pillow

I'm not even sure if 'applique' is the correct term to describe what I did to this pillow, but it is in my head so I'm going with it.  I decided I wanted to make an anchor pillow for Charm.  I originally planned to hand stitch an anchor onto a pillow using felt like I did with my Pottery Barn Teen look alike letter pillows, but I decided to try using some of the iron on adhesive that I had leftover from the pirate eye patches that I made for Charm's Pirate Party to make an anchor applique.

The process I used was very simple.  I made an envelope pillow cover with white piping using fabric and a pillow form we had on hand already:



Next I made an anchor template by folding a piece of paper in half to make a symmetric anchor shape:  



I double checked to make sure the scale was appropriate to my pillow:



I raided my fabric stash for a few anchor color options, then I cut out small pieces and ironed the Hem 2 Hem on the back of the fabric, and stenciled the anchor with a pencil onto the fabric:



I cut out the anchors and let Charm pick out which one he liked best:

Green Velour


Red stripes

Multicolored


Charm chose the simple green option.  I used tape to keep the applique in place on the pillow and then ironed the center of the applique (avoiding the area with tape on it) with a thin towel placed between the anchor and the iron.  I removed the tape once the center of the applique was well adhered to the pillow fabric.



Final product:

I love that I could use regular fabric without fear of frayed edges!



I have one more update to post, and it has something to do with this whole 'mattress on the floor' situation that was going on for a while after we switched Charm from a toddler bed to a twin sized mattress:


Have a wonderful weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are stringing us along to see the final finished product of what is Charm's room. I have been waiting to do a post about Cole's room until it is "finished" but is it ever really finished?? I think I am going to steal your idea and just do little bits and pieces as they get finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...rooms are never 'finished', at least not around here:)! I can't wait to see Cole's room!

      Delete